Spiritual direction session
One to one spiritual direction session with me usually takes an hour once a month. I can meet you in central Wellington or in Tawa. I can also offer session by skype if you live in a remote area.
Why do we need Spiritual Direction?
There are many good ministries and they all help us in one way or another. Spiritual direction help us by paying attention to and responding to what God might be doing in your life specifically at this present time. Where is God working? How is God in this situation?
What is Spiritual Direction?
Whereas in many counselling or pastoral contexts there is an emphasis on problem solving, spiritual direction focuses on the signs of grace at work in the midst of each situation, helping the individual both to recognize God’s unique communication and respond to God’s invitation to growth and healing.Bev and Lew Marsh
Spiritual Direction is about slowing down in our lives and listening well. Many times, God’s presence surprises us when we pay attention. As a spiritual director I walk alongside your journey to listen to the music of the soul, and encourage you to respond to God.
We listen together for the movement of God in your life. A director does not give instructions or ‘direction’ as such, and many would see it more as ‘spiritual companion’ or ‘spiritual carer.’ My role is to facilitate a safe space for you to connect to your deeper self, where God dwells.
For some people, it helps to explore connecting to God in new and creative ways. It may be helpful to explore some contemplative practices or creative prayers if you are up for it!
Who need Spiritual Direction?
Anyone who would like to pay attention to their spirituality will find spiritual direction helpful!
- You may be struggling with your faith and finds it hard to belong in a church setting, but still want to talk to someone to grapple with your relationship with God.
- You may be faced with a decision or dilemma and wish for someone else to journey with you in listening for God’s guidance through it.
- You may have ministry in church or live in a remote place and wish to talk to someone who can attend to you spiritually.
- You might be looking for a safe space to be honest with Yourself and God.
- You might simply felt a ‘tug’ in your heart to go deeper with God!
What do we talk about?
Often we start with something you want to talk about. This can be anything that is significant for you at the moment.
If you don’t know what to talk about, maybe start with how you feel about prayer, or about God at the moment. Perhaps you want to talk about a dream you recently had or something you noticed that seemed significant or simply your job or relationships.
It can be anything, since God is in all things, we listen together for God’s presence in them in your life.
As a spiritual director, I am there for you, meeting you where you are at with God, though I might offer some suggestions or insights from time to time, the aim is to encourage you to listen more intently to how God is speaking to you.
Sometimes we may use drawings, poetry or collage to help connect with what is going on inside, but only if you feel comfortable with it.
Still feeling that ‘tug’ in your heart? How about giving it a go?
Taking the step to meet with a new spiritual director can feel a bit daunting. Just by taking steps to pay attention to your relationship with God is already tremendous, you are well on your way!
We can start with talking about something that is important to you at the moment. Or you can simply turn up and see where our conversations go.
Please know that:
- The first session will always be free.
- We can chat and figure out your needs and whether spiritual direction is for you.
- It is up to you to decide if you feel comfortable with me as your director to journey with you.
- You can decide to continue meeting after the first meeting or not. There is no obligation to continue.
There are costs involved with ongoing spiritual direction sessions. The fees goes towards my supervision, spiritual direction and professional development. Your contribution allows me to sustain my ministry and provide for other people who are not in a position to pay. We can discuss fees when we meet.
I would not want the cost to hinder anyone to have access to spiritual direction, so if this is you, please let me know!